here for AHS Board News, Site Updates and Other Announcements
NEWS UPDATE: JULY 1, 2014: Due to the generosity of an anonymous donor, AHS has a wonderful opportunity to receive Matching Funds at a 2:1 ratio for all donations earmarked for the AHS General Funds between now and December 31, 2014. Any funds donated to the AHS General funds during this time will be matched at a rate of $2.00 for every $1.00 donated, up to $20,000!
Go to the Donations Page
AHS has a new publications sales and services manager.
Publication Services Manager
109 West Poplar Street
Elizabethtown, KY 42701
Electronic Media Award - New July 2014
The AHS Technology Committee and Awards & Honors Committee jointly
administer this award, designed to recognize individuals who have performed
outstanding service to the AHS membership and the general public in the area of
electronic media. The electronic media should create interest in, educate and
promote the AHS to members and the general public. Nominees may have
designed and created websites, blogs, electronic magazines, mobile applications, as well as emerging technologies not specifically listed or included in other award
categories. This award is presented at the National Convention each year.
Rules applying to this award are as follows.
- All nominees must be AHS members
- Any AHS member may nominate a member from any AHS region,
including International members, for this award. If several members
have collaborated on the creation of the electronic media, they may be
nominated as a team.
- All nominations must be sent to the AHS Technology Chair
no later than September 1 each year.
- Nomination letters must include a website address or a link to the
electronic media that can be viewed online.
- In addition to describing the merit of the electronic media and the
candidate’s worthiness for the award, nomination letters must
address the merits of the electronic media relative to the following
o Effect on furthering and promoting the mission of the AHS
o Potential effect on membership
o Educational merit
o Innovative use of technology
o Technical difficulty
o Ease of use and navigation
o Aesthetic appeal
- The AHS Board will select the winner at the fall board meeting each
year. The winner is awarded a certificate, signed by the AHS
President, and a special electronic logo denoting the AHS award that
may be used on the website, mobile app or Electronic magazine
denoting the AHS Electronic Media award and year awarded
- The award recipient will be recognized in the Daylily Journal and ENews.
- A member may be nominated for and receive this award multiple
times, if merited, but not for the same project.
On November 10, 2012, the AHS Board voted to approve an action item amending Registration fees as follows, to take effect January 1, 2013.
||JANUARY 1, 2013
|Reserved Name Application fee
reserved period increases from two to three years
|Registration Revision fee
Changes made at the discretion of the Registrar
Registration fees had remained level since 1996, a period of sixteen years.
Raising fees will help to cover direct and indirect expenses associated with registration such as processing and mailing registrations, labor, printing, and maintaining the online database.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact AHS President Julie Covington, firstname.lastname@example.org or Registration chair Rebecca Board email@example.com
The AHS Board has approved the following changes to the Photography and Video Awards which will took effect for the 2012 Contest. Changes are in bold face.
The AHS Awards and Honors Committee administer this program. The awards are presented each year at the AHS National Convention. Rules applying to all awards are as follows:
- All entrants must be AHS members.
- An entrant may submit only five (5) digital images, photos or slides in each award category unless specially noted otherwise. Digital images are the preferred method.
- Each entry may be submitted in only one category.
- Only registered cultivars are allowed.
- All entries are to be sent to the Chair of the Photography Sub-Committee.
- No borders or texts should be used on images. When possible, remove any distracting items such as metal plant tags before taking the picture.
- The deadline for submission is November 1, and it is determined by the date on the E-Mail or mailing container.
- No entrant may win the award in any contest more than three times within a five-year period.
- The winning entrant may keep all awards.
- A panel of three judges evaluates all entries. Of these, at least two must be members of AHS. Any nonmember who serves as a judge shall have an extensive knowledge of photography or cinematography. Judges are selected by the AHS Awards and Honors Committee and may not be entrants in the competition.
- All digital images must be in .jpg format only. Full size images as photographed are preferred. Only reduce images if they exceed the below E-Mail limits.
- Individual image size must not exceed 1 MB.
Hemerocallis fulva as an invasive species.
state and agency publications and websites currently list
Hemerocallis fulva as an invasive species. Due to its long
life span and use in erosion control, H. fulva is often
found near old home sites and along drainage ditches. The
same properties that allow it to flourish in these settings
with no care can also allow it to be considered invasive in
certain settings where its slowly spreading habit might
displace some native plants over time.
Get the full AHS Press Announcement on Hemerocallis Fulva as
an invasive species.
in pdf format.