Dr. Scott Elliott
658 Edward Smith Rd.
Ellabell, GA 31308
Proposals received will be evaluated at one of two possible times each year, with deadlines for each period currently April 1 and September 1.
Recently Funded Research Grants
1. "Proposal for a project to investigate control measures for the Hemerocallis Gall Midge", Andrew Halstead of the Royal Horticultural Society. 2008-2010, $4,500. The project is more fully described on the RHS web site.
2. "Dips, drenches and foliar applications of fungicides for management of daylily rust in field plantings", James W. Buck of the University of Georgia Horticulture Department. 2010, $3,000. Results from study were published in: Dong, W.B. and Buck, James W. 2011. Report on the AHS-funded study of dips, drenches and foliar applications of fungicides for management of daylily rust. The Daylily Journal 66:10-12.
3. "Characterization of daylily (Hemerocallis sp.) transcriptome using GS-FLX 454 pyrosequencing", Neal Stewart (PI), Gisele Schoene and Yanhui Peng, Department of Plant Sciences, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN. 2011-2012, $3,000.00.
Mabel Matthews Scholarship
General Terms of the Mabel Matthews Scholarship
• The scholarship amount will be announced each year and will be based on the interest on the balance of funds in the endowment account, and donations that are made to the fund. For 2016, the amount available will be $3,700.
The deadline for applications is April 1, 2016.
• The scholarship may be awarded to a maximum of two individuals each year.
• In the event a scholarship is not awarded in a given year, the funds will be eligible for the following year.
• Eligible to any AHS members (no age requirement) with three or more years of membership.
• Eligible for AHS members seeking a bachelor degree or postgraduate degree in any college or university to include on-line entities, provided it is accredited in the applicant’s chosen field.
• While the scholarship is without restriction to a specific field of study, preference will be given to horticulture, botany, chemistry, and landscape architecture.
• An applicant must demonstrate service to an AHS club or at an AHS regional level.
• The scholarship shall be given annually, subject to the selection of an eligible applicant.
• The recipient must maintain a grade point equivalent of 3.0 based on 4.0 system.
• The scholarship may be given to an individual recipient for up to a maximum of six years.
Download the application form HERE.
Ferris Youth Scholarship Guidelines
1. A $1,000.00 scholarship will be awarded annually with the exception of two $1,000.00 scholarships being offered if there was no recipient the previous year.
2. Applicant must be a current AHS member, no more than 19 years of age, who has held AHS youth membership (or would be a youth member but for this age 18 requirement for youth membership) for two consecutive years prior to the year the application is submitted.
3. Applicant must be one of the following: a) Graduating senior in high school entering college, university or technical school. b) High school student enrolled in a dual credit program.
4. The student’s future course of studies must be in Horticulture, Botany, Plant Physiology or other plant sciences.
5. The applicant is required to write a letter giving the reason for applying for the scholarship and include the applicant’s future plans.
6. Applicant must submit the completed application and letter, by mail or email, to the Youth Committee chairman between January 1 and March 31 of the year the scholarship is to be awarded.
7. Applicant’s membership will be verified by the Youth Chair and the AHS Youth Committee will review the applications and vote for the winning candidate(s).
names of the winner(s) will be announced at the National
Convention and published in The Daylily Journal and the Youth News.
Money will be sent directly to the winner's college,
university or technical school.
AHS Youth Chairman: Kathy D’Alessandro, 2076 Silo Lane, East Greenville, PA 18041 firstname.lastname@example.org if you need more information or have
here to get the AHS
Youth Scholarship Form in .pdf
[ AHS HOME PAGE ]